Some gyms in our area and throughout the country have started to re-open after essentially all recreation was shut down for months. On one hand, this is exciting news and, on the other, it’s super scary! I don’t know about you but I haven’t even been in a grocery store in more than three months so group gatherings totally freak me out at the moment.
That being said, I am open to teaching again and relatively soon. Here are my thoughts about how I plan to stay safe and these are totally my opinions so please note, I am not a medical professional or disease specialist so I might be doing things I shouldn’t or taking precautions that I don’t even need to take – we’re all newbies at this thing, right?!
Anyway, here’s my plan:
- Get super informed about what the gym/studio is doing to stay safe
- Wear a mask before, during and after class
- (Maybe obviously) perform no hands-on adjustments
- Offer an equipment-free class plan
- Make sure there isn’t a class immediately before or after mine so there’s more time and space for my class to filter in and out
- Make sure students can sign-in touch-free
- Prop open doors and open windows if possible
- Change clothes and shower right away (and wash feet right after yoga)
- Remind participants to stay home when sick
- Get a sub at any sign of illness
Let me know if you have any great tips to navigate this process! I do think exercise is so important and seeing other faces in-person is priceless so although I’m hesitant, I think we all need our yoga and group fitness classes to return as soon and as safely as possible!