This post is for anyone who hasn’t considered freelance writing and for anyone who already has the writing bug but hasn’t seen any progress.
If you haven’t considered writing, here are a few reasons to give it some thought:
- You’ll establish yourself as an expert in your field
- You get to learn new things
- It’s fun
- You can earn extra, side income or turn it into a career
- You can do the work anytime and anywhere
- It gives your body a break if your job is usually physical
If you’re already interested in writing or you’re already working on it but haven’t made any progress, here are some reasons not to give up:
- It took me years and 42 pitches before I got my first paid assignment
- After putting in some work, I’ve started to get assignments without pitches
- Once you have a relationship with an editor, it’s easier because you get to know what they like, you get a lot more responses and sometimes you get assignments too!
- Once you have some quality clips, that also makes it easier
- You start to build a network and meet lots of people through writing. Sometimes it’s only over the phone or via email but it is a great experience!
- Getting published looks great on a resume, no matter your field and even if you don’t ever aspire to be full-time writer.
So start (or keep!) pitching your article ideas anywhere and everywhere that fits your niche and style!