Today, I’m sharing my Pumpkin Dark Chocolate Oat Bars. Of course, the pumpkin and dark chocolate combo is perfect for Halloween and I’ll be enjoying one with coffee today but this is a great treat all season. I actually made these bars the very first time I met my in-laws in early November a few years back. This is what I love so much about food. This recipe tastes good but it’s so much more than that! Food can evoke so many feelings and bring back so many memories so I love to share recipes and I hope you enjoy this one! Grab a fork because these are a bit messy!
I’ve made a few different variations of these bars and I usually include 1 cup of chopped walnuts but I left them out this time for the kids and they are still great. If you use real dark chocolate and vegan butter, these bars are dairy-free and they are gluten-free too but if you are baking for someone with a serious wheat or gluten allergy or Celiac Disease, make sure to use oat flour and oatmeal labeled ‘gluten-free.’ Oatmeal is naturally gluten-free but there is a lot of cross-contamination with grains.
I used Theo Chocolate’s Pure 70% Dark Chocolate Bar for this recipe but any quality dark chocolate bar will work. I love Theo so much since it’s the best chocolate and it’s an added bonus that they are local to Seattle! I’ve attended their factory tour at least five times over the years. If you live here or visit, be sure to check it out, it’s really informative and fun!
Speaking of fun, I hope you have a great day! Growing up, I was never really into Halloween. I think my parents were just a little too into it so I guess I was rebelling with disinterest. But kids make every holiday more exciting and more fun! This year, we’ve already dressed up in our costumes (well, the kids have, anyway) for a few events and we’ll do a mini trick-or-treating session in the afternoon but I don’t think they’ll really start to grasp much until next year.
Have a Happy Halloween!
Pumpkin Dark Chocolate Oat Bars
- 3/4 cup melted vegan (or regular) butter
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 3-oz high-quality dark chocolate bar, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° and set aside an 8×8-inch glass dish.
- Melt butter and set aside to cool.
- Whisk Oats, oat flour, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice and both sugars.
- Add melted, cooled butter and combine.
- Take 3/4 cup of oat mixture and press into the bottom of baking dish.
- Add pumpkin puree, vanilla and egg to the remaining oat mixture then stir in chopped dark chocolate.
- Pour over crust and smooth out the top of the batter with a spatula.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until edges look dark brown and batter stays in place when you touch the top. (Don’t rely on the toothpick test since these are gooey, brownie-like bars when fully cooked.)
- Let cool completely before cutting into 9 bars.
- Optional: 1 cup chopped walnuts (mix in with chopped dark chocolate).
- Make sure to use pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling.
- Serve alone, with ice cream or with whipped cream.